Department of Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy or Physiotherapy is a dynamic profession which helps with the evaluation and rehabitation of patients who are in pain due to a disease or an injury. Physical Therapy allows the patient to overcome the pain or movement persay by therapeutic measures.
DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy / Physiotherapy)
DPT is a 5-years programme which is post baccalaureate degree conferred upon successful completion of duration. APIA (American Physiotherapy Association) created the degree of DPT.
In 1956, Physiotherapy was established by Federal Governement, Miinistry of Health and Social Warfare with the assistance of World Health Organization (WHO) at Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Center Premises, as a Diploma Course with 2 years of period having minimal requirement such as Matriculation for entrance. In 1961, it was upgraded to 3 years of Diploma. In 1999, it was upgraded to 4 years Bachelors Degree and in 2008 Doctor of Physiotherapy was a 5 years Programme duration.
- Minimal overall score of 60% in Pre-medical group of HSSC or equivalent in Pakistan.
- British Advanced Level with Bio, Phy, Chems. The score should be equivalent and over 60% in Pre-medical in the IBCC equivalence.
DPT Scheme of Studies for 5 Years
|SEMESTER/YEAR||NAME OF SUBJECT||CREDITS|
|FIRST PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|ENGLISH-I (FUNCTIONAL ENGLISH)||3(3-0)|
|ENGLISH-II (COMMUNICATION SKILLS)||3(3-0)|
|ISLAMIC STUDIES / ETHICS||2(2-0)|
|BIOSTATISTICS-II / UNIVERSITY OPTIONAL||3(3-0)|
|SECOND PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|THIRD||ENGLISH-III ((Technical Writing & Presentation Skills)||3(3-0)|
|INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER||3(2-1)|
|BIOMECHANICS & ERGONOMICS-I||3(3-0)|
|BIOCHEMISTRY & GENETICS I||2(2-0)|
|FOURTH||ANATOMY-IV (Neuro Anatomy)||3(2-1)|
|BIOMECHANICS & ERGONOMICS-II||3(2-1)|
(Psychiatry & Psychology)
|BIOCHEMISTRY& GENETICS II||2(2-0)|
|THIRD PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|FIFTH||PATHOLOGY & MICROBIOLOGY I||2(2-0)|
|PHYSICAL AGENTS & ELECTROTHERAPY I||3(2-1)|
|THERAPEUTIC EXERCISES & TECHNIQUES||3(2-1)|
|HEALTH & WELLNESS||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE I||3(0-3)|
|SIXTH||PATHOLOGY & MICROBIOLOGY II||3(2-1)|
|PHYSICAL AGENTS & ELECTROTHERAPY -II||3(2-1)|
|TEACHING METHODOLOGY & COMMUNITY MEDICINE||3(3-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE II||3(0-3)|
|FOURTH PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|RADIOLOGY & DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING||3(2-1)|
|HUMAN GROWTH, DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNITY BASED REHABILITATION||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE III||3(0-3)|
|NEUROLOGICAL PHYSICAL THERAPY||3(2-1)|
|EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICE||3(2-1)|
|PROSTHETICS & ORTHOTICS||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE IV||3(0-3)|
|FIFTH PROFESSIONAL YEAR|
|EMERGENCY PROCEDURES & PRIMARY CARE IN PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
CLINICAL DECISION MAKING &
SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY & RESEARCH
(LAWS , ETHICS &ADMINISTRATION)
|INTEGUMENTRY PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE V||3(0-3)|
OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGICAL
|PAEDIATRIC PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|GERONTOLOGY & GERIATRIC PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SPORTS PHYSICAL THERAPY||2(2-0)|
|SUPERVISED CLINICAL PRACTICE VI||4(0-4)|
- This scheme of the curriculum is also applicable to the annual system; in which two consecutive semesters will be considered as one professional
- Credit hours distribution is as follows:
- Theory: one credit hour shall be equal to one hour of teaching per week throughout the semester.
- Practical / lab: one credit hour shall be equal to two hours of lab work per week throughout the semester.
- Clinical: one credit hour shall be equal to three hours of clinical work per week throughout the semester.
- Research: One credit hour shall be equal to three hours of research work per week throughout the semester.